This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase something I have shared, I will earn a small commission...at no extra cost to you! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I will be the first to admit that STEM is not my favorite area to teach. If you were to ask me which subjects I do not excel at, I would tell you, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math…STEM! Give me all the books, grammar, art, and writing…I love it! However, these kiddos of mine…LOVE STEM! I am going to assume that this is a prime example of their engineer fathers’ DNA peeking its head through! So, for me to be able to find a book that can walk them through hands-on experiments with little help from me…I am thrilled. STEM Lessons & Challenges from Evan-Moor is just that book…and I want to give you a peek inside!
Evan- Moor’s STEM Lessons & Challenges Grade 6
STEM Lessons & Challenges is so much more than a workbook. Sure it looks like a workbook on the outside, but inside it is packed to the gills with hands-on experiments that your kids will love! There aren’t too many workbooks on the market that aim to get the kids out of the book and working with their hands! This one does it beautifully and with minimal prep time from Mama…which is a win in my book!
A Peek Inside
STEM Lessons & Challenges is organized into 15 engaging units that focus on the areas of Life, Earth, and Physical Sciences. Each of the 15 units is geared around a specific hands-on activity that the students are going to design, prototype, test, and then refine.
Each unit features the following pages:
- Teacher Overview– This is a great overview that helps me to understand what the project is all about, what the task at hand is, and what I need to do to get us ready!
- Science Concept and Visual Literacy– these pages are wonderful. These build the foundation of information to help the kids understand what we are going to be learning about and why.
- STEM Challenge– This introduces the specific task and provides a large space for brainstorming.
- Suggested Materials List– a break down of the items needed for the challenge
- Think About the Design Process– This helps students understand the design process of planning, creating, testing, and evaluating.
- Design Process and Redesign Worksheets– these sheets allow the students to fill in the information about their own design process for the experiment.
In the Grade 6 book, students will have the chance to do experiments such as creating a solar oven, making a submarine, creating a projector, making a sound-proof box and so much more! The projects are amazing and they are so user-friendly that this STEM fearful Mama doesn’t feel overwhelmed at all!!! I love the variety of science areas that are being covered as well. Also, not only are the students learning about different areas of STEM, but they are learning the scientific process and problem-solving!
For More Information
I did a full flip through of STEM Lessons & Challenges Grades 4 and 6 on my IGTV channel! You can find that by clicking here!
You can also head over to the Evan-Moor website for a flip through and to see all of their amazing titles!
STEM Lessons & Challenges is available in grades 1-6! You can also grab Smart Start STEM for your younger kiddos…it is available in grades Pre-K through 1!
STEM Lessons & Challenges is also available through your TeacherFileBox subscription!! If you haven’t heard about this amazing subscription you can read my full review here! We are on our second year of TeacherFileBox and it has been a lifesaver…and money saver!!